Saturday, July 7, 2012

True North Calling Me Home.

So much for actually having time to blog and post about it! I've been in the city for over 2 months now and regrettably, this is my first blog post since getting off the plane. I'm not sure if it's because I've been too busy at work, or because I simply don't have much to say. Some combination of the two.
The View from my Midtown Apartment
When I first arrived I must admit I was a little disappointed by New York. Everywhere I've lived up until now has been relatively clean. Vancouver is incredibly clean, and the only time I've ever even witnessed littering was during fireworks or some other huge event (still, shame on you! Is it that hard to take your trash home with you?). I was expecting New York to be quite a bit dirtier by definition, but nothing could have possibly prepared me for this:

I'm appalled that some people take so very little pride in the place they live!

So yes, the city does take some getting used to, even after all my careful planning and deliberating. I found that once I left midtown Manhattan (or just Manhattan in general), everything gets a little more exciting and a lot less touristy. Brooklyn is quite clean, and the one time I went to Queens I had no complaints. Central Park is of course beautiful, but nature doesn't just wander up and find you here like it does back home. You have to make more of an effort to find it. And the more time I spend without nature, the more I find I need it in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment